Kota Dan Makam Touhid

 MG 1716


The Touhid Fort was the 8th capital of the Johor Empire, both in 1637 during the reign of Sultan Abdul Jalil Shah III (r. 1623-1677) and again during the reign of Bendahara (Sultan) Abdul Jalil Riayat Shah (r. 1699-1718). 

Sultan Abdul Jalil Shah III was a close ally of the Dutch and this fort was built with bricks introduced by them. The Touhid Fort was abandoned in 1642 due to an outbreak of disease and a new capital was built in Pasir Raja. It was abandoned a second time when the capital was moved to Kota Panchor.

Later the fort was used as a mausoleum for Johor nobility, which is why it is now known as Kota Dan Makam Touhid.

 MG 1707



















 MG 1723-HDR


 MG 1719


 MG 1701


Before we found this location, Google Maps had taken us to the nearby river bank. What looked like steps down to the riverbank turned out to be water gullies.








 MG 1698


Click here to return to Exploring the Old Johor Sultanate in Kota Tinggi

Click here to return to Travels in Malaysia 2018


© Helen Gray 2019